Super Ténéré’s rugged chassis and powerful twin-cylinder engine make it an ideal all-rounder that can handle everything from sport touring through to long distance riding and even daily commuting.
In addition to the standard model Super Ten, Yamaha is pleased to introduce the sophisticated new XT1200ZE Super Ténéré. This model offers greater choice to riders who are looking for the ultimate long-distance Yamaha adventure bike with all-new electronically adjustable suspension.
The XT1200ZE Super Ténéré also benefits from a long list of upgrades to both the engine and chassis in order to refine its riding character and increase its sportiness and comfort levels. Uprated engine characteristics have been achieved by making a number of changes to the engine resulting in a smoother and better engine character, and also provide an extra 2bhp. The quality of the transmission has also been enhanced with the adoption of a new rubber shock absorber in the clutch assembly, and the shaft drive system is equipped with an improved damper design in the engine housing.
Compact forward inclined 270 degree parallel twin
- One of this engine’s most interesting features — one which makes it particularly suitable for a twin-cylinder dual-purpose bike — is its 270° crankshaft and the superior traction this crank layout delivers. Because both cylinders fire closely together, traction is improved and the rider can better feel the grip at the rear tyre. This is one reason why single-cylinder engines are so widely used for dirt bikes. The 270° crank gives a twin a gutsy traction feel similar to that of a single. This technology was developed by Yamaha for use on its winning Dakar rally racers.
Electronically adjustable suspension
- The new system is operated by a multi-function handlebar switch, and allows the rider to select from four preload settings and three damping force settings, to give 12 main options. The system also offers the rider the opportunity to select from another 7 levels, and this easy-to-operate system offers a total of 84 fine tuning settings, all of them available at the flick of a switch.
A tough chassis for a tough world
- On the XTZ1200 the engine is mounted as a stressed member, and the frame is designed to reduce rider fatigue over long distances. This is one reason that the main frame is made of steel, because steel offers both strength and flexibility. Steel is very good at absorbing road impacts. Because riders are very sensitive to the location of the crankshaft, this frame locates the crankshaft low and very close to the foot pegs. This makes the XTZ1200 feel lighter than it actually is and makes the bike easier to ride. The dual backbone tubes extend from the steering head on each side of the engine, and the engine is mounted low in the frame at the cylinder head and crankcase. This layout not only lowers the centre of gravity of the fuel tank, it leaves space at the front for the airbox and throttle bodies and complements the straight, downdraft intake system. Another benefit is easy access to the engine and its related parts for maintenance, a feature that mechanics will appreciate. Components located far from the centre of gravity, such as the rear frame, are made of lightweight aluminium.
Adjustable seat, 3-way carrier
- To ensure greater comfort in long-distance riding and ease of leg reach to the ground, a front-rear divided seat is adopted that features height adjustment (2-level adjustment with a height difference of 25mm) for the rider’s seat.
ABS and Unified Braking System
- Another welcome feature for a dual-purpose bike is the combination ABS/anti-lock and unified brake systems that help prevent wheel lock during braking. This function complements the traction control system, which aims to control drive force on slippery road surfaces. This newly developed ABS/Unified Brake System unit allows the rider to operate both the front and rear brakes simultaneously by simply pulling the front brake lever.
New LCD instruments
- LCD instrumentation that features a comprehensive LCD display which includes a Gear Position Indicator.
Cruise control fitted as standard
- Long distance riders will appreciate the fitment of Cruise Control as standard equipment for the new model year. This simple to operate system not only takes the strain out of long haul trips, but it also allows riders to observe speed limits without having to take their eyes off the road ahead.
Adjustable traction control
- To reduce rider workload in the rough stuff, the XT1200ZE is fitted with 3-mode traction control. Both wheels are fitted with speed sensors. When the rear wheel spins faster than the front, the sensor signals the ECU to adjust the YCC-T throttle, ignition timing and fuel injection to control the power delivery to the rear wheel.
Abundant range of options
- To answer the needs associated with an adventure tourer model like this, a lineup of specialised option parts and components has been developed simultaneously with the XTZ1200 to be sold as Genuine Yamaha Parts and accessories. These options include the following. 1) Fog lamp kit 2) High windscreen 3) Top and side cases 4) Steel pipe engine guard (protecting the cowling and the sides of the engine) 5) Grip heaters 6) Headlight protector and 7) Large aluminium skid plate (protects engine bottom).
|Engine Type||Liquid cooled, 4-stroke DOHC 4 valve, forward-inclined parallel 2-cylinder with YCCT + traction control|
|Bore x Stroke||98.0 X 79.5 mm|
|Lubrication System||Dry Sump|
|Fuel Management||Fuel Injection|
|Engine Management||EFI, YCC-T, D-MODE|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||23 L|
|Oil Capacity||4.2 L|
|Final Transmission||Shaft drive with hypoid gear design|
|Transmission||Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Seat Height||845 mm|
|Ground Clearance||190 mm|
|Dry Weight||246 kg|
|Wet Weight||265 kg with 23 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Steel tube backbone|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic forks 190mm front travel|
|Suspension Rear||Swingarm 190mm rear travel|
|Brakes Front||Dual disc 310mm, ABS + unified braking system|
|Brakes Rear||Single disc 282mm, ABS + unified braking system|
|Tyres Front||110/80 x 19|
|Tyres Rear||150/70 x 17|