The WR450F heralds the biggest change since the introduction of that first WR400F. Yamaha designers, testers and engineers have revisited the drawing board and re-invented the new WR450F from the ground up.
The challenge was how to improve on an already peerless motorcycle. But the team stepped up to the mark and delivered a motorcycle that the whole nation has been hanging out for… a bike that retains the hallmark features of reliability with the versatility to win at the highest level while still providing an easy-to-ride trail weapon.
The handling goal has been achieved with the development of a new aluminium bilateral beam frame that is very similar to the much hailed YZ250F frame that offers scalpel sharp steering and rail-like turns.
To complement the new frame, new YZ inspired twin chamber suspension is fitted front and rear to soak up the harsh terrain that fast trail and competition enduro riders encounter. Once again, the suspension is specially enduro-tuned by combining the ability to absorb big hits with a softer initial travel to tackle tight turns.
And in order to offer stable engine performance irrespective of fluctuations in air temperature or altitude, a fuel injection system has been adopted. This can easily be adjusted with a hand held, portable Power Tuner device, the same unit that has proven so popular with YZ450F owners.
- The 450cc engine has been specifically designed to meet the requirements of the new FI system and chassis changes. It retains its liquid cooled, five titanium valve, single cylinder layout. A special cam profile has been developed to suit enduro RPM use while the five speed gearbox has ratios suitable to cover a wide range of riding environments.
- New bilateral beam frame provides amazing handling in typically tight Aussie terrain.
- Enduro specific seat with new cover and slim plastic resin 7.2 litre fuel tank.
- New YZ-inspired twin chamber suspension is fitted front and rear.
- The Power Tuner accessory offers riders a huge benefit by allowing customised fuel injection settings to fit their personal preferences.
|Engine Type||Liquid cooled 4-stroke, DOHC, 5-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||95.0 x 63.4 mm|
|Compression Ratio||12.3 : 1|
|Lubrication System||Dry sump|
|Fuel Management||Fuel Injection|
|Starter System||Electric & Kick|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||7.2 L|
|Oil Capacity||1.2 L|
|Final Transmission||Chain drive|
|Seat Height||960 mm|
|Ground Clearance||335 mm|
|Dry Weight||123 kg|
|Wet Weight||129 kg with 7.2 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Bilateral Beam|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic fork, 300mm travel|
|Suspension Rear||Swingarm, 299mm travel|
|Brakes Front||Single disc|
|Brakes Rear||Single disc|
|Tyres Front||80/100-21M/C 51P|
|Tyres Rear||120/90-18M/C 65P|