Ever thought how hard it would be to make a sequel to a legend? Your design would have to reiterate the original mission statement, then forge a bold and captivating new personality (while still respecting certain styling expectations the market will have). You’d have to eclipse all previous parameters of performance, and finally, get these goals to crystallise into a single design so expertly as to create a motorcycle the likes of which the world has never seen – like the 200ps, 166 Nm Intelligent Monster you see here. A musclebike of immense presence and value, with awesome acceleration and incredible control, VMAX will provide a select few riders with sensations and emotions that others can merely dream about.
- A thunderous new-generation V4 with YCC-I intake technology, YCC-T fly-by-wire throttle and a slipper clutch almost single-handedly reinvents the VMAX legend of old. But then we bolt it low and forward into a lightweight aluminium chassis with excellent mass centralisation characteristics, resulting in a machine designed to handle curves as well as straightaways.
- The long-awaited ultimate power cruiser delivers unmatched performance from its all-new 65-degree, four-valves-per-cylinder, 1679cc V4—plenty of eye-opening, controllable acceleration.
- Downdraft four-bore fuel injection with YCC-I intake technology and YCC-T fly-by-wire throttle provide awesome acceleration throughout the broad powerband.
- Lightweight aluminium chassis puts the engine low and forward for mass centralisation, resulting in a machine designed to handle curves as well as straightaways.
- Borrowing liberally from advanced sportbike technology, VMAX features a slipper clutch, wave-style brake discs with ABS and Brembo master cylinders and complete suspension adjustability.
- The thunderous 1679cc, 65-degree, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected four-valves per-cylinder, DOHC engine pumps out astonishing power to reinvent the VMAX legend.
- Four-into-one-into-two-into-four exhaust system with EXUP (Exhaust Ultimate Power valve) delivers a broad, seamless powerband with the right VMAX look.
- VMAX utilises sportbike-proven Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I). The variable intake broadens the spread of power, switching nearly instantaneously between 150mm and 54mm intake funnels as needed and serving up optimum performance at any rpm.
- Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), the fly-by-wire system, delivers flawless response every time the rider twists the throttle.
- Engine combines four-valve technology with a high 11.3:1 compression ratio, forged aluminium pistons and NGK Iridium spark plugs with R1-type direct ignition coils to extract maximum horsepower from the fuel charge.
- Cams are driven by a combined chain and gear system to precisely control valves while keeping cylinder heads remarkably compact for such a large displacement engine.
- Delivering this power cruiser’s muscle to the street means a beefy shaft drive just like its predecessor. Special shaft design includes two cross joints to accommodate the fat 200/50 R18 rear tire.
- Sculpted and supportive VMAX seat cradles the pilot in plush leather, while a thick pillion cushion allows you to share the VMAX experience. An under-seat fuel tank makes efficient use of space and mass.
- The newly designed chassis is light and compact, with a cast aluminium main frame, CF die-cast and extruded aluminium rear frame and cast aluminium swingarm. The result is superb rigidity balance for both hard acceleration off the line and corner carving.
- Fork size matters and these huge 52mm tubes combine excellent rigidity and a smooth action. The oxidised titanium coating increases surface hardness and reduces stiction while proving that black is beautiful.
- Hydraulically activated clutch includes racetrack-proven ramp-type slipper clutch system that makes braking from speed while downshifting smoother.
- Five-speed transmission has superbly spaced gear ratios to take full advantage of the engine’s awesome power in straight-line acceleration or through the twisties.
- The high-performance engine is cooled by two radiators for efficiency and clean looks. Lubrication is via a simple, reliable wet sump system.
- The iconic VMAX aluminium intake covers are hand buffed by craftsmen for superb quality and individuality.
- Linear-controlled ABS system enhances braking control over a variety of road surfaces and conditions. Innovative and compact design combines the ECU and hydraulic mechanism into a single unit that is situated under the seat.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve, V-4|
|Bore x Stroke||90.0 x 66.0 mm|
|Lubrication System||Wet sump|
|Fuel Management||EFI, YCC-I & YCC-T|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||15 L|
|Final Transmission||Shaft drive|
|Transmission||5-speed w/ slipper clutch|
|Seat Height||775 mm|
|Ground Clearance||140 mm|
|Dry Weight||298 kg|
|Wet Weight||310 kg with 15 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Aluminium diamond|
|Suspension Front||52mm Telescopic fork, 120mm travel|
|Suspension Rear||Swingarm, link-type, fully adjustable, 110mm travel|
|Brakes Front||320mm dual wave discs, six pot radial mounted calipers|
|Brakes Rear||298mm single wave disc|
|Tyres Front||Bridgestone radial 120/70 R18MC(59V)|
|Tyres Rear||200/50 R18MC(76V)|