The sleek new 950 takes cruiser development to a sporty new level. Beyond the traditional air-cooled exterior you’ll find fuel injection, four-valve cylinder heads, ceramic-composite-lined cylinders and forged aluminium pistons that mean business. The chassis design has been mass centralised with a carefully crafted rigidity in the longitudinal, lateral, and torsional directions. Together with the large diameter, low profile front tyre and optimal front end weighting, this adds up to outstanding handling performance in not only cruising, but on winding roads as well. Take one ride on the new V-Star 950 and you’ll feel the manoeuvrability and punch of the new benchmark in middleweight cruising.
- The 942cc (57.5 cu. in) engine is an aircooled SOHC 60° V twin. With four valves per head, a pent-roof shaped combustion chamber, and 9.0:1 compression ratio, this engine has been carefully designed to produce excellent power characteristics – and best-in-class acceleration.
- To keep friction loss to a minimum and help the engine achieve the ideal performance characteristics, special compact roller-type rocker arms with needle bearings are used.
- Combustion chamber shape was precisely engineered to direct the fuel air charge into the centre of the piston for faster combustion and maximum power. Ceramic-composite-plated cylinders provide excellent heat dissipation and reduced oil consumption.
- High-quality forged aluminium pistons have a lightweight, high-strength compact design that contributes to reduce vibration.
- Lack of engine counter balancer allows V-twin character to rumble as it should. This also contributes to simplicity and less operating noise.
- Sophisticated fuel injection is used on the V Star 950. The injectors are four-hole, two-directional types with spray aimed at the valve surfaces. That produces good fuel atomisation for faster and more complete combustion which contributes to excellent drivability. The fuel injection system also adopts an ISC (Idling Speed Control) valve for outstanding idling stability.
- The throaty 2-into-1 exhaust system includes 3-way catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.
- Front forks feature big 41mm tubes, and rear suspension is a bottom-link-type monocross shock. Settings are calibrated to deliver a plush ride that is increasingly firm as the suspension is compressed for good handling and comfort over bigger bumps in the road.
- The big 18-inch front wheel helps deliver this cruiser motorcycle’s sporty handling characteristics and “Sport Classic” cruiser looks. A low-profile 130/70-18 tyre is mounted on a newly designed 8-spoke lightweight aluminium wheel. The 170/70-16 bias ply rear tyre adds a beefy look and helps transfer all that torque and power to the pavement.
- With a seat height a mere 675mm off the pavement, one of the lowest around, and a fuel tank that’s made as narrow as possible where it meets the seat, it is easy for most riders to put both feet firmly on the ground.
- Lubrication is provided by a simple, reliable wet sump system.
- The steel double-cradle frame is long and low, contributing to the bike’s spacious 2435mm overall length and 1685mm wheelbase. That means a great ride to go along with the great looks.
- The V-Star 950 has a wonderfully light feel. Surprisingly, even though it has a fullsize chassis, the bike weighs just 278kg with a full tank of fuel and all fluids.
- Newly designed large-diameter meter is mounted on the fuel tank for a traditional look. Meter functions include speedometer, fuel level warning light, oil level warning light, and odometer with two trip meter functions, fuel trip meter, and clock display. The LCD display illumination can be adjusted using a right side handlebar switch.
|Engine Type||Air-cooled, 4-stroke, V-type, SOHC 4-valve, 2-cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||85.0 x 83.0 mm|
|Lubrication System||Wet sump|
|Fuel Management||Fuel injection|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||17 L|
|Final Transmission||Belt drive|
|Transmission||Constant mesh, 5-speed|
|Seat Height||675 mm|
|Ground Clearance||145 mm|
|Dry Weight||264 kg|
|Wet Weight||278 kg with 17 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Steel double cradle|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic forks with 135mm travel|
|Suspension Rear||Swingarm with 110mm travel|
|Brakes Front||320mm single disc|
|Brakes Rear||298mm single disc|