Yamaha has expanded its MT range with the MT-03, a trick 660cc single cylinder machine designed to appeal to single minded riders keen to experience a unique riding sensation.
We call the MT-03 a roadster-motard. Roadster, because it projects the same kind of mechanical beauty and radical, sophisticated design as our MT-01 roadster. And motard because it offers the same characteristics as an easy-handling, agile supermoto bikes. And better still, this stylish single is a Learner Approved Motorcycle.
Like the MT-01, the MT-03 is the mechanical embodiment and expression of Kodo, a word which means not only heartbeat or pulse, but also a pulsating drum beat that appeals directly to human sensuality.
High-torque XT660-based engine
- Powering the new MT-03 is a high torque 660cc engine that is based closely on the highly-acclaimed XT660 powerplant. With its high levels of low to mid-range torque, this reliable, liquid-cooled engine has already established a strong reputation with XT660R, X and Z model Ténéré owners.
Compact two-into-one exhaust
- Viewed from the rear, the system appears as dual mufflers, but they are in fact connected, and each muffler is protected by a resin shield for passenger comfort. This stylish exhaust system underlines the bike’s solid MT heritage, and gives the MT-03 a distinctive rear end.
Lateral rear suspension system
- The MT-03 is equipped with the same type of lateral rear suspension system that was first seen on the MT-01 concept bike. This distinctive design – in which the shock is mounted almost horizontally on the right side of the bike close to the engine – offers a number of important benefits.
Tubular steel diamond truss-type frame
- The MT-03’s compact and minimalist frame is manufactured from high tensile steel tubing, and has been designed to give optimal rigidity for responsive handling performance and excellent rider feedback.
Idealised geometry and 52% front wheel weight distribution
- The agile handling goal has been acieved by building an all-new chassis with a compact wheelbase of 1420 mm, combined with 26 degrees caster and 97mm of trail.
|Engine Type||Single cylinder, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||100 x 84 mm|
|Compression Ratio||10.0 : 1|
|Lubrication System||Dry sump|
|Fuel Management||Electronic Fuel Injection|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||15 L|
|Transmission||Constant Mesh, 5-speed|
|Seat Height||805 mm|
|Ground Clearance||200 mm|
|Dry Weight||180 kg|
|Wet Weight||192.4 kg with 15 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Steel tube truss diamond|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic forks|
|Suspension Rear||Linked monoshock with spring preload adjustment|
|Brakes Front||Hydraulic dual disc, 298mm|
|Brakes Rear||Hydraulic single disc, 245mm|