Iron Fist In A Velvet Glove
- Your first decent ride on an FZ1 should be enough to convince you that in an era of great motorcycles, this is a special motorcycle. Sure, having an engine derived from the most famous litre Supersport of the modern era was a heck of a start, but it’s what Yamaha’s engineers have done with that platform that makes the FZ1 a jewel among sportbike designs.
- Torque-tuned specifically for the road, the FZ1 engine is mated to a light and rigid aluminium frame, sculpted with the perfect quotients of torsional, lateral and vertical stiffness.
- The outcome is pure class. Engine response… with forgiveness. Chassis agility… with stability.
- Available in your choice of faired (FZ1S) or naked (FZ1N) guise, that’s what makes the FZ1 fit …like a glove.
- Cutting edge fuel injection system with computer-controlled sub-throttle valves provides precise fuel/air mixture for superb power delivery across the entire rev range.
- Closed-deck cylinder block provides great strength while allowing a narrow engine in spite of big, 77mm bores.
- Narrow-angle five-valve combustion chambers produce a highly efficient 11.5:1 compression ratio, while big valves and highlift cams flow plenty of air.
- Carburised connecting rods with fracture split big ends produce a quick-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.
- High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder sleeves ensure great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Light, R1-spec five-spoke wheels and fat radial tyres, including a 190/50-ZR17 rear, complete the look and serve up the traction.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 5-valve, in-line four|
|Bore x Stroke||77.0 x 53.6 mm|
|Lubrication System||Wet Sump|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||18 L|
|Oil Capacity||3.8 L|
|Final Transmission||Chain drive|
|Seat Height||815 mm|
|Ground Clearance||135 mm|
|Dry Weight||205 kg|
|Wet Weight||220 kg with 18 litres of fuel|
|Frame Type||Aluminium diamond die cast|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic fork with 130mm travel|
|Suspension Rear||Monocross with 130mm travel|
|Brakes Front||Dual discs|
|Brakes Rear||Single disc|
|Tyres Front||120/70 ZR17 MC (58W)|
|Tyres Rear||190/50 ZR17 MC (73W)|